HomeMarty Reunion 2015Class of 62Marty Reunion 2012Marty 2010 photos2010 Reunion AgendaPrayers2009 Reunion Photos1959 Marty GraduatesClass Photos 1941 to 19642003 & 2004 Reunion Photos2005 Reunion PhotosFamiliar FacesAgenda 2009 ReunionReunion ActivitiesRaffle WinnersNewsMarty MemoriesSportsArchives

Table of Contents

Articles you will find on this page... 

  • Robert "Donuts" Monette
  • Charles Belgarde
  • Clifford "Whitey" LaFromboise
  • Congratulations Sister Miriam 
  • Marty Indian School Library 
  • Congratulations, Thurman Cournoyer
  • Congratulations, Lindsay (Granddaughter of Ernie and Sally McCloud)
  • Games 
  • Preservation of Marty Buildings
  • Sarah Jetty Hoven
  • Toby Moran
  • Ernest Wabasha
  • Eugene Konor
  • Peter "Butch" Azure
  • Larry "Cheese" Luger
  • Ralph LaVelle 
  • Larry Dean Archambeau 
  • Carole Anne Heart Memorial
  • Sister Anthony Marie Davis
  • The Dubai Fountain
  • Marty Flood Photos
  • Help!
  • Felix Walking (Elk)
  • Early Life at Marty
  • Clara Dean Chase Shields
  • Steve Lenoir
  • Dolly Azure-Plumage
  • Theresa Bercier
  • Theodora Hale
  • Gerald Soukup
  • Vivian Picotte-Gullikson
  • Helen Demontigny-Thomas 
  • David Dauphinais 
  • Humorous Nun 
  • Alzheimer's Test
  • Indian Law and Order Act
  • Congratulations Karen Archambeau
  • State Flower
  • GoodHealthTV.com
  • News from Bud and Frances Jetty 
  • St. Paul's Indian Mission Pottery
  • Photos from Space
  • Mae Lenoir
  • Bill and Charlotte Monette's son loses life
  • Lindsey Gourneau
  • Ambrose Little Ghost
  • Sr. Anthony Marie Davis
  • Dick and Dolly
  • Exotic Bird For Dinner
  • Dennis and Joan
  • Sisters of Blessed Sacrament web site info
  • Prayer Request for Mary Shevlin
  • Prayer Request for Theresa Martin
  • Prayer Request for Rita Brien
  • Prayer Request for Bill "Mush" Monette
  • Prayer Request for James Fitzgerald
  • Prayer Request for Frances Jetty
  • Medical Update - Alfred Jetty
  • Prayer Request for Ed Croteau


Bob "Donuts" Monette
January 23, 1939 - September 5, 2014 

Robert "Donuts" Monette passed away peacefully surrouded by his loving family on Friday, September 5, 2014 at the Devils Lake Good Samaritan Center. Bob was born January 23, 1939, to Helen (Davis) and Frank A. Monette at Belcourt, ND. Unfortunateely, Bob's mother died when he was 3 yrs old. His father married Emma (Davis) Monette in 1943. Emma raised Bob who livingly and graciously caller her "Ma." He grew up on the Turtle Mountain Indian Reservation attending school at St. Ann's Mission School and graduating from St Paul's High School at Marty, SD, in 1958. Immediately following, he enlisted in the US Army. He was a proud member of the 101st Airborne Division, or the Screaming Eagles". He was Honorably Discharged in 1962. Bob married Mrie Lenoir, the mother of his children Paulette, Craig, and Tiffani in Belcourt in 1963. Although this union did end, they remained life-long friends until her death in 1991. He was always grateful that Marie was a wonderful mother to their childreen, as well as being the mother to Danyell (Dornheim) Juhnson, whom he always embraced as family. Bob married Joanne Allery, the motheer of Jackie, Aaron, Jeff, Jessie and Sarah in Coon Rapids, MN. They lived in Coon Rapids/Twin Cities, Grand Forks, and Fargo before settling and establishing their home in Devils Lake.  


Bob's number one priority in life was taking care of his family. He was a hard-working man, working primarily as a laborer in the construction trade. His second love was music. He loved to sing and play guitar throughout his life, at any opportunity for family, friends, and all who would and could listen. He especially enjoyed "Waylon, Willie, and the boys!" He loved country and blue grass music as well as the fiddle. His love for sports found him cheering faithfully for the Vikings and Twins!


Bob is survived by his wife, Joanne, daughters Paulette Monette Baukol, Tiffani (Dr. Tim Peterson), Jacquelyn Meier, Jessie and Sarah Monette; Sons Craig (Paula), Jeff and Aaaron; and 11 grandchildren; brothers Bill (Charlotte), Vernon (Kaaren) and Lyle (Iris) Parisien; Sisters, Carol (Lynn) Davis, Janice (Allen) Schlenvogt, Tessie (Ron) Poitra and Norma (Terry) Poitra. He was preceeded in death by his parents, a baby son, brother Bryan Parisien and nephews Michael and Emory Parisien. 

Charlie Belgarde

March 18, 1921 to July 15, 2014





 Belgarde, Charles Patrick (Rides A Painted Horse) age 93, born March 18, 1921 died peacefully on Tuesday, July 15, 2014. Funeral Services were held at St. Mary of the Lake Church in Plymouth, 105 Forestview Ln N, Plymouth, at 10:30 Tuesday, July 22, 2014.

Charles was preceded in death by his loving wife of 52 years Mary, his daughter, Michelle and son, Gerald. Charles was born in Malta, Montana, and was raised in Dunseith, North Dakota in a family of 10 children. Charles was a proud member of the Turtle Mountain Chippewa; his Indian name is "Rides A Painted Horse". He was a graduate of the Marty Mission Indian School.

Charles served with distinction in the 8th Air Force during WWII as a B-17 pilot based in England, attaining the rank of Lieutenant. After his discharge, Charles attended St. Thomas College and also studied architectural drafting. Charles married the love of his life, Mary, and together they built a wonderful family of twelve children. Charles and Mary traveled throughout the West and Northwest and drove to Alaska on the then gravel Alcan Highway in search of a place to establish their roots. They ultimately settled in Minneapolis, where Charles started Belgarde Construction with nothing more than an apron, a hammer, his carpentry skills, and the determination to succeed. Under Charles' leadership, the company grew from a crew of 15 in the 1950's to a major provider of carpentry labor and concrete crews to the emerging post war construction boom. Charles became legendary for taking his crews out West on hunting trips. Since the 1960's, this humble man from Malta has developed homes, apartments, retail and industrial properties in Minnesota, South Dakota, Iowa, Indiana, and Colorado. In 1968, Belgarde Enterprises was recognized by the Minnesota Apartment Association with its Reggie Award for excellence, and in 1989 was named the Developer of the Year by the local chapter of the National Association of Industrial and Office Properties.

Charles was an inspirational leader, mentor, and teacher who had a positive influence on so many throughout his career. "Measure twice, cut once, back to basics, value engineering, if you come to a brick wall go around not through it, that's human nature, put it on a spreadsheet, work smarter not harder," are but a few of his oft repeated expressions. Charles completed the Owner President Management program at the Harvard Graduate Business School in 1981 at age 60.

Charles loved the outdoors, especially horseback riding and hunting. Charles was an active member of the Caballeros del Norte, a western style riding club, for 50 years participating in many trail rides. He went on his final ride just a month ago. Charles fulfilled a dream when he purchased 1800 pristine acres in Wyoming, where he held an annual family reunion, and 400 head of cattle roam free. It was there in Aladdin, Wyoming, now population 13, where he breathed his final breath on this beautiful Knoll. Charles lived his life to the fullest, was known for being firm and fair, had a quick wit, and subtle sense of humor. He was a voracious reader, and was a student of history. Charles never forgot his humble beginnings, and through his family foundation supports a number of Native American organizations dedicated to youth, wellness, treaty rights and education.

Charles is survived by his brother John; children, Belle (Harry), Ken (Joyce), Charles Jr., (Eugene), Loretta (Chris), Bryant (Cindy), Curtis, Annette, Terrie (Craig), Suzette, and Paulette; his grandchildren, Chad, Brent, Brock, Kyle (Melissa), Kelsey (DJ), Kort, Kobi, Lann (Christian), Monica(Jason), Mandon, Sabrene (Josh), Christina, Neetah (Shawn), Josh, Joe, Jarad, Kuarin, Charles, Isaac, Cheyenne, Mary, James, Marguerite, John Paul; and his great grandchildren, Jonah, Ava, Makayla, Hailey, Jayden, Shaina, Shawn, Lyllian, Fynnley, Brekkyn, Evelyn, Dalton and Kenley. We will miss you always.



Clifford "Whitey" LaFromboise

May 20, 1921 to September 16, 2014 


Clifford LaFromboise Sr., age 93, of Belcourt, ND passed away on Tuesday, September 16, 2014 at Rolette Community Care Center, Rolette, ND. The visitation and funeral were held at St. Ann’s, Belcourt, ND. Military Honors were conducted by the Lilley-Dionne American Legion Post #262 of Becourt, ND and the Military Funeral Honor Teaam of Grand Forks, ND.

                Clifford “Whitey” was born May 20, 1921 at Belcourt, ND to John Baptisste and Mary Saadie LaFromboise. He attended Marty Indian School in SD and furthered his education at Haskell Indian Nations College in Nebraska where he majored in carpentry. He enlisted in the Navy in 1942 and received an honorable discharge in 1945. Clifford was an aviation machinist during WWII on vessels NTS Great Lakes ILL and USNTS.

                He was united in marriage to Edna Roussin on January 28, 1955 at St. Leo’s Catholic Church in Minot, ND. Together they raised two children, Karen and Clifford II (CJ). He worked for many years for Charles Belgarde and the Bureau of Indian Affairs as a carpenter.

                He was preceded in death by his wife, Edna. He is survived by his children, Karen and CJ.

Oblate Sisters elect new leader

Sister Pat, Sister Inez, and Sister Miriam

The Oblate Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament, a diocesan congregation, elected Sister Miriam Shindelar as their leader.

The election recently took place at the mother house in Marty with Father David Tickerhoof, TOR, as Bishop Paul J. Swain's delegate.

Sister Miriam comes with qualities as a teacher, church administrator and her devotion to the Oblate Sister's Native American Apostolate.

Marty Indian School Library

The librarian at Marty Indian School is asking if any of the Marty alumni and former students have old Marty annuals that they would be willing to copy and send to the library. Their copies have walked away over the years and they would appreciate having copies for patrons to view. Please send them to the Librarian at Po Box 187, Marty, SD, 57361. Thank you.


Congratulations, Thurman Cournoyer

More than 400 people celebrated with the newly inducted members of the Yankton Sioux Tribe Business and Claims Committee Friday, September 30, 2011 in Wagner, SD. The newly elected Chairman, Thurman Cournoyer, is a former Marty student. At the tribal induction ceremony into the Chairman position, Thurman stated he plans provide transparency, better law and policy enforcement while promoting the tribe’s heritage. “I will do my best to remember that I am only a common man with a tremendous responsibility to my Oyate,” he said to cheers and a round of applause. The tribe elected leaders on Sept. 1. They will serve two-year terms. Prior to the induction ceremony, the crowd enjoyed the often humorous remarks of Butch Felix, who emceed the event. He also made some serious statements about the future of the tribe, calling for the youth to embrace their heritage and become positive future leaders of the tribe. Thomasina Real Bird, an enrolled member of the Yankton Sioux Tribe who attended Wagner Community School, Stanford University, the University of New Mexico Law School and Columbia Law School in New York City addressed the new leaders. “The individuals who have stepped up to the plate will soon find there is no greater privilege than serving our tribal members and strengthening our government,” Real Bird said. She encouraged the incoming tribal officials to strengthen relationships within and outside the Yankton Sioux Tribe and thanked the outgoing tribal officials for their service and leadership. Marty Indian School student council president, Garret Drapeau, received a standing ovation when he shared his thoughts about leadership and how it affects his fellow youths’ futures. “What is leadership?” Drapeau asked. “It is integrity, the willingness to work long hours, honor and trust.” The crowd was on their feet after his presentation. Rosebud Sioux Tribe President, Rodney Bordeaux, who gave the keynote address, stressed unity, “All tribal members need to embrace each other and work together.” He added that educating youth and economic development should be two major focuses, along with unity within the tribe.

Thurman was honored by the veteran’s committee at the 2009 Marty reunion for his heroic deeds during the Cuban crises while serving aboard a ship off the coast of Cuba. Ernie McCloud presented Thurman with several certificates and shared stories about his service in the Navy. At that honoring, his nephew, son of Wally Cournoyer, sang the honor song. We wish Thurman much success in his new position!

Ernie and Sally McCloud's Grandaughter, Lindsay, age 9 and her team have just finished the Nationals Christian Cheerleading Championship in southern Florida. We are so proud of her. Her Team won the Championship for her class, and age group,and also won the Grand NATIONAL Championship for all classes, and age groups throught High School. How Cool is that...! (Lindsey is in the front row, first girl on your left -January 2012)

CLICK HERE. This is something that will challenge your eye-hand coordination. There are lots of games. Frankie Bercier sent the apple and I'd suggest trying that one while you try others. Have fun!


Rita (Poitra) Brien - 9 yrs old (photo taken at Marty)


Preservation of Marty Buildings

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:  Feb. 8, 2012CONTACT:  Jeff Mammenga, Media Coordinator, (605) 773-6000, Jeff.Mammenga@state.sd.us 
State Historical Society lists two properties on National Register 
PIERRE, S.D. – Two South Dakota properties were added in January to the National Register of Historic Places, according to the South Dakota State Historical Society.  The listed properties are the Hardy Ranger Station in Lawrence County; and the Marty Indian School Gymnasium and St. Therese Hall in Marty. The National Register is the official federal list of properties identified as important in American history, architecture, archaeology, engineering and culture. The State Historic Preservation Office of the State Historical Society at the Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre works in conjunction with the National Park Service, which oversees the National Register program.   "South Dakota's history is rich in American Indian culture, pioneer life and change," said Jay D. Vogt, state historic preservation officer and director of the State Historical Society. "Properties listed on the National Register are important for their role in South Dakota's culture, heritage and history. And when properties get listed, it shows that their owners take pride in their role in preserving that culture, heritage and history." Buildings, sites, structures and objects at least 50 years old possessing historical significance may qualify for the National Register, according to Vogt. Properties must also maintain their historic location, design, materials and association. Listing on the National Register does not place any limitations on private property owners by the federal government.   For more information on the National Register or other historic preservation programs, contact the State Historic Preservation Office at the Cultural Heritage Center, 900 Governors Drive, Pierre, SD 57501-2217; telephone (605) 773-3458 or website history.sd.gov/Preservation.  Summaries for each site are as follows: 
Hardy Ranger Station, Lawrence CountyLocated 1.5 miles south of O’Neil Pass and within the Black Hills National Forest, the Hardy Ranger Station was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1936.
Marty Indian School Gymnasium and St. Therese Hall, MartyThe Marty Indian School, formerly known as Marty Mission School, is located in Marty on the Yankton Reservation. The gymnasium, built in 1935, is a three-story brick building in the Stripped Classicism style, which was popular at the time. Designed in the Art Deco style using brick and limestone, the four-story St. Therese Hall was completed in 1945.  These buildings are listed on the National Register in the areas of Education, Art, Religion, Ethnic Heritage and Architecture. The school’s buildings embody important historical trends about 1930s school architecture, early 20th century Sioux artwork, the development of the mission and community around Marty, as well as the history of Catholic missions to American Indian tribes in South Dakota.   With sincere appreciation, Chairman Thurman Cournoyer and the Yankton Sioux Tribe would like to thank the following individuals for their help researching and sharing their life’s work and intimate memories that made this nomination possible: Professor Emeritus, Herbert T. Hoover, Beresford; Noted author Mary E. Carson, Seattle WA; Liz Almlie, SD State Historic Preservation Specialist, Pierre; Yankton Sioux Tribal Historic Preservation Officer, Lana M. Gravatt; and Marty Indian School graduates (www.martysd.com) Cletus Goodteacher, Sisseton; and Larry Dauphinais and Dr. Carol Davis, Belcourt, ND. -30- 

The South Dakota State Historical Society is a division of the Department of Tourism. The Department of Tourism is comprised of Tourism, the South Dakota Arts Council, and the State Historical Society. The Department is led by Secretary James D. Hagen. The State Historical Society is headquartered at the South Dakota Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre. The center houses the society’s world-class museum, the archives, and the historic preservation, publishing and administrative/development offices. Call (605) 773-3458 or visit history.sd.gov for more information. The society also has an archaeology office in Rapid City; call (605) 394-1936 for more information.

Sarah Jetty Hoven



Celebration of Life for Sarah Hoven, 89, will be Monday, April 1, 2013 at Ranfranz and Vine Funeral Homes. Visitation will be at 12 noon and service at 1:00 p.m. at Ranfranz and Vine Funeral Homes.
Sarah Agnes “Jane” Hoven passed away peacefully on Thursday, March 28, 2013 at Season’s Hospice surrounded by her loving family.
Sarah Jetty was born in St. Michael, North Dakota on November 19, 1923 to Fred and Angelina (Morin) Jetty. She was the second of 11 children. She grew up in North Dakota and attended high school in Marty, South Dakota. After high school graduation, she and her sister, Nora (Jetty Ives), enlisted in the US Navy WAVES to support our troops during WW II. She worked for the Bureau of Ships under Admiral H.R. Rickover in Washington, D.C. After their honorable discharges in 1946, she and her sister were asked to re-enlist to be stationed in Hawaii, but they declined the offer saying they were “too homesick for North Dakota.” Sarah attended Fargo Business School for secretarial training. In 1951 she moved to Rochester and married Daniel L. Hoven. Daniel passed away in 1970. She was employed by the YWCA for 33 years. She currently resided at Homestead of Rochester.
She is survived by three children, Carol (Hoven) Rushton of Denver, CO; Arne Hoven and Calvin Hoven both of Rochester; four grandchildren; eight great grandchildren; and one great-great grandson (and one on the way); one brother, Alfred “Buddy” Jetty of Chamberlain, SD; four sisters, Vivian Borseth of Coon Rapids, MN, Marianne (Lyle) McCulloch of Eagan, MN, Sister Inez Jetty of Marty, SD, Julie (Bill) King of St. Michael, ND.
A special thanks to nieces, Betty Smith and Shirley Greising; grandchildren, Holly (Hoven) Brakke and Danny Hoven; Dr. Paul Takahashi and Mayo staff and Season’s Hospice
In lieu of flowers, memorials are preferred to the Hoven family c/o 858 15th Street SE Rochester, MN 55904.

Toby Moran

 Toby Moran

Mass of Christian Burial for Tobias "Toby" Moran was March 24, 2014 at St. Mary's Catholic Church, Aberdeen, South Dakota. Deacon Alfred "Bud" Jetty of Chamberlain, SD assisted Father Joseph Holzhauser at the mass. Toby passed away Wednesday, March 19, 2014 at his home in Aberdeen. He was born on July 13, 1934 in Poplar, Montana. He attended elementary school in Wolf Point, MT and graduated from St. Paul's Indian Mission, Marty, SD in 1953.  He was honorably discharged from the US Army in 1954 after serving in Korea. He was united in marriage to Claudette Taylor on August 10, 1957 at Fort Yates, ND. He received his bachelor's degree from Northern State Teacher's College in 1960. He worked at the Wahpeton Indian School before moving to Aberdeen where he retired from the Bureau of Indian Affairs after 33 years of service. After retirement, he spent lots of time doing church and community service volunteer work. Toby loved to play guitar and spent time hunting, fishing, playing softball, bowling and playing golf. He belonged to many civic organization. He is survived by his wife, Claudette; four children: Beverly, Val (Todd), Marty (Bernie), Mike and Francine Fast Horse; eight grandchildren; one brother, Alfred (Rose), and two sisters, Margie (Jerry) and Madonna. He was preceded in death by his parents, five brothers and three sisters.  

Ernest Wabasha

Word has been received that Vernell Wabasha's husband, Ernest Wabasha, died March 28, 2013. Our condolences go out to Vernell at the loss of her huband and best friend. Please remember her and her family in your prayers.


Eugene Konor


Eugene Konor, husband of Darlene Weston Konor passed away March 1, 2013. Funeral services were held March 4, 2013 in Chicago, IL. He is survived by son, Thomas, daughter Christine and five grandchildren. May he rest in peace. Please remember Darlene and her family in your prayers.

Peter "Butch" Azure


Peter “Butch” Azure passed from this world on February 12, 2013 with his loving family at his side. He was born on August 15, 1940 to Fabian and Agnes (DeDee) Azure.  He married Agnes (Aggie) Jerome on June 27, 1959 at St. Ann’s, Belcourt, ND.  In 1954, he and four of his closest friends attended Marty together—Bob “Donuts” Monette, Bill “Mush” Monette, Clarence “Frog” Frederick, and Vernon “Puggy” Gourneau. At Marty, he met Harold “Joe” McBride. They remained friends throughout their lives.  Butch is survived by his wife, Agnes, and his two daughters, Denise (BI) Marcellais and Toni (Junior) Parisien and his grandson, Travis (Rhea) Azure who was raised by Butch and Aggie. They had numerous grandchildren and great grandchildren. Butch and Aggie spent several years in California. They also lived in Fort Yates on the Standing Rock Reservation and New Town on the Fort Berthold Reservation for several years each. When they returned to Belcourt, Butch went to work for the Turtle Mountain Tribe and he remained there as a program director for 36 years until he retired in 2006. Butch was an avid basketball fan and followed his grandchildren to all of their games. He had many friends and will be missed by everyone on the Turtle Mountain Reservation.

Larry "Cheese" Luger


LARRY “CHEESE” LUGER, 70, is at peace. He left us on Monday, January 14, 2013, at St. Alexius Medical Center, Bismarck, after a long and courageous battle with cancer. Funeral Services will be held at 11:00 AM, Thursday, January 24, 2013, at St. Peter’s Catholic Church, Fort Yates, with Fr. Basil Atwell OSB officiating. Visitation is scheduled from 2-4:00 PM Wednesday in the Tribal Chambers and from 5-9:00 PM at St. Peters Catholic Church with a rosary service beginning at 7:00 PM. Visitation continues one our prior to the services at the church. Burial will be in the North Dakota Veterans Cemetery, Mandan.  Larry the son of Harold “Heds” and Sophie (Archambault) Luger of Fort Yates, was born on January 23, 1942. He graduated high school from St. Paul’s Indian Mission in Marty South Dakota in May 1959, he attended Dickinson College, Dickinson, from September, 1959 to November 1961. He later went on to complete his education at Black Hills State College in Spearfish, South Dakota. In August 1964, he graduated with a B.S. Degree in Business Administration and Economics with a minor in Math.  In 1965, Larry joined the Air Force and completed basic training at Lackland Air Force Base, Texas. He went on to Kincheloe AFB in Sault St Marie, Michigan, where he worked in the Procurement Office until his honorable discharge in December 1968.  Larry worked as the Education Specialist for the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe from January 1969 to March 1969. From April 1969 to September 1971, he worked for the BIA in Property and Supply. From September 1971 to November 1980 he was the Assistant Dean (Budget Officer) Division of Economics and Environmental Development at the University of Wisconsin in Madison.  In January 1981, he began working for the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe, where he was the Chief Finance Officer. During his 32 year tenure with the Tribal Finance, he gained the respect and admiration of not only his staff but all tribal employees. Larry served on several boards including, the Business Equity Loan, TERO Advisory, and Standing Rock Development Corp. Larry’s hard work and dedication to the Tribe will be greatly missed.  Larry enjoyed old time country music, Black Velvet, playing poker and gambling, and spending time with his dog, “Killer”. He liked watching sports, but he especially watching his team the Indianapolis Colts. Larry enjoyed watching documentaries on the History Channel and took pride in himself as being a little bit of a history buff. He also enjoyed going to lunch at Prairie Knights with Chairman Murphy.  Larry will be dearly missed by his brother Richard (Bev) Luger of Fort Yates, his sister Karen Luger of Austintown, Ohio, and his adopted family Lawrence and Dawnette Montclair and their two children Michael Azure and Michaya Montclair and his “Faith” family, Mike, Kathy, Carol (Fudgie), and Joyce (Mousie), fourteen nieces and nephews and 38 great-nieces and nephews.  Larry was preceded in death by his parents, his brother Charles “Chaz” Luger, his sister Shirley “Sister” Luger, and a nephew Sheldon Luger.

Ralph E. “Yo” LaVelle

Ralph E. “Yo” LaVelle, 77, of 415 North Saint Marys Road, passed away Sunday evening, November 4, 2012, at the Elk Regional Health Center following a brief illness. Dedicated family man, proud veteran and member of the Yankton Sioux Tribe, Yo passed peacefully surrounded by his loving family.

Yo was born February 24, 1935 in Platte, South Dakota, son of the late Harry and Annetta Ferris LaVelle. Orphaned as a toddler, Ralph was a resident of and attended the Marty Indian School on the Yankton Sioux Reservation in South Dakota. As a member of that extended family, Yo developed a lifetime love of sports; starring on the school’s six man football team and making lifetime friends, such as Vernon Clark. He also had a lifetime appreciation for the clergy who helped to point him in the right direction in life. He was a member of the Sacred Heart Church in Saint Marys.

After graduating from high school, Yo joined another tight-knit clan, the United States Marines, serving honorably for eight years as a Lance Corporal. Always Faithful (Semper Fi!), Ralph later served for years as a leading member of the Saint Marys Servicemen’s Burial Detail.

Shortly after his arrival in Saint Marys in 1959, Yo began his own family; meeting, courting and marrying the beautiful Joyce Mahovlich on October 1, 1960 in the Sacred Heart Church. They raised four daughters together in a tight and loving home in “Lynchville.”To support his growing family, Yo worked for seventeen years at Keystone Carbon Company before moving on to Windfall Products until his retirement in 1997 after over 20 years of service. He was an indispensable tool and die specialist, even traveling to Germany for the company. Again, members of this work family, such as “camp” buddy Tom Arnold, stayed close for life.

Yo endured heartbreak as well, first with the tragic death of his third-born daughter, Annette, then with the passing of beloved Joyce on May 15, 1989 after years of battling cancer. Once again the faithful one, Yo never remarried or even dated anyone else.

In retirement, he lived a very full life. He especially enjoyed watching Gerry’s boys, Bobby, Randy and Ricky, star in countless games and making him a very proud grandfather. During the seventies he taught himself to play tennis and joined another close-knit group of enthusiasts, such as Gordon Daghir and John Brock, to play on a regular basis. He was “tickled pink” when granddaughter Hannah caught the tennis bug and starred in high school. He and his tennis buddies later devoted countless hours to helping coach Elk County Catholic girls tennis team.

Yo loved traveling to Key West to stay with daughter Lisa and her husband Russ during the winter months, basking in the sun, playing tennis and
socializing with anyone and everyone. He loved meeting and making new friends and, of course, visiting his family. He looked forward to stops to see family in Bumpass, VA and Frank Straub in the Keys.

He loved taking excursions to western New York to visit his oldest daughter Chris and family. There he got to play “farmer” and wrestle with his tractor. At Tom Arnold’s camp, he kept the fire going; fed the deer apples and pears and enjoyed yet another welcoming family.

Ralph lived a long and fruitful life, to say the least. All of his families will miss him.

With his “Hanta Yo” (clear the way!) motor home, Yo and his friends would travel to Penn State University football games as far away as Nebraska; country music festivals in Ohio and Nascar in Watkins Glen. Perhaps it was in his “Indian” DNA that made Yo embrace the open road and its adventures, but never venturing far from his roots that he put down in Saint Marys.

In addition to his parents, wife and daughter, he was preceded in death by his sisters, Pearl Klopfer and Chris LaVelle; and by his brothers, Eugene (Harry) and William LaVelle.

He is survived by daughters, Christine Leach (Gary) of Hornell, NY; Geraldine Pearsall of Saint Marys and Lisa Meyer (Russell) of Saint Marys,
former son-in-law, Robert Pearsall; and four grandchildren, Bobby Pearsall, Randy Pearsall and his wife Ryan, Ricky Pearsall and Hannah Leach.

A Mass of Christian Burial will be held at the Sacred Heart Church on Friday, November 9, 2012, at 10:00 AM with Reverend Eric Vogt, OSB, friend, officiating. Full military rights will be accorded by the Saint Marys Servicemen’s Burial Detail. Burial will follow in the Saint Mary’s Cemetery.

Visitation is at the Lynch-Radkowski Funeral Home on Thursday evening from 6 to 8 PM.

Memorials, if desired, may be made to the Sacred Heart Church, 325 Center Street, Saint Marys, PA 15857; ECCSS Athletic Association (Tennis
Program), 114 Queens Road, Saint Marys, PA 15857 or Saint Marys Servicemen’s Burial Detail, c/o The American Legion, 168 Center Street, Saint Marys, PA 15857.



Larry Dean Archambeau, Sr.



Larry Dean Archambeau, Sr.
(December 10, 1942 - March 19, 2011)
Larry Dean Archambeau, Sr., 68, formerly of Wagner Larry died Saturday, March 19, 2011 at Sanford/USD Medical Center in Sioux Falls, SD, surrounded by family and friends. Funeral Services are 10 AM, Wednesday, March 23, 2011 at St. Paul’s Catholic Church in Marty. Burial is in the church cemetery. Wake services began Monday and will be at 8 PM Tuesday at the National Guard Armory in Wagner. Crosby-Jaeger Funeral Home in Wagner is in charge of arrangements.
Larry was born December 10, 1942 in Wagner to Percy and Helen (Bernie) Archambeau. He grew up in Greenwood, SD, along the Missouri River where farming and ranching were his passion. He was not only fulfilling his dream but the inspiration his father had instilled in him. If one knew Larry, one would know his love for life but his desire to live it too. Larry enjoyed farming/ranching because it gave him solitude, privacy, time to gather thoughts and truly appreciate the beauty of the land where he grew up. Larry attended St. Paul Indian Mission in Marty, SD and later graduated from Stephan High School while also working on the Big Ben Dam on the Crow Creek Reservation. He attended Barnes School of Business in Denver, CO, was a past Chairman of the National Indian Cattlemen’s Association, served on the YST Business and Claims Committee and held various positions within the tribe. He last worked as YST Gaming Commissioner before his retirement.
He is survived by his three sons: Richard and family; Larry and family all of Lake Andes, SD; and Ronald of Las Vegas, NV; seven grandchildren; three sisters: Priscilla (Donald) Lee of Omaha, NE; Karen Archambeau and Helen Cournoyer, both of Wagner, SD; one brother, Stanton Archambeau of Greenwood, SD; special friend, Donna McBride of Lake Andes and many nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his parents and 10 siblings. He will be united spiritually with his parents, Percy and Helena; brothers: Clarence, Kenneth, Raymond, Francis, Louie, John, Gordon and Michael; and sisters: Valerie & Debra.

Rose Baker

Rose Baker, who attended Marty in the 1950's, died at Belcourt, ND in February 2011. Rose attended some of the Marty reunions and always spoke highly of her classmates and friends. After high school, she lived for many years in Minneapolis and was affiliated with the Red School House when it was active in the cities. She is survived by her mother, Delphine Smith, and her son, Bobby and his wife Roberta.


In Memory of Carole Anne Heart

family and close friends are planning a

Memorial and Headstone Unveiling for the Fall of 2011

Help us to remember the leagacy of Carole Anne Heart and please make donations towards the purchase of the Headstone and Memorial Dinner.

Please contribute to this project. Make your donation payable to Sarah Arobba, PO Box 9746, Rapid City, SD 57709 with a notation that it is for the Carole Anne Heart Memorial. Contributions made early will help us in our planning and with the event budget. We are very grateful with whatever you are able to help us with. We plan to list the names of all the contributors on a program of the event at the unveiling and memorial dinner.

The date for the unveiling, and memorial dinner is set for Saturday, September 24, 2011, at the Mother Butler Center in Rapid City, SD. If you are able, please RSVP on the Carole Anne Heart Memorial facebook page.


Sister Anthony Marie Davis

Word has been received of the death of Sister Anthony Marie Davis on Friday, January 21, 2011. Sister Anthony Marie was among the first group of Indian women who entered religious life at Marty 75 years ago. Over the years she served on several reservations and at the convent in Rapid City, SD. She devoted her life to caring for those in need. Her kind and mild manner was welcomed by all. We will remember her in our prayers.


The Dubai fountain in this video and the music is a must. Please enjoy...

Marty Flood

Thank you Marlene Cournoyer and Cletus Goodteacher for sharing the following photos of the spring 2010 Marty flood.




Help! Please send a message...


There are original photos in the old gym that tell the story of Marty. There is also talk of demolishing buildings as a result of the flood. No one is certain if the gym will be torn down. But, as a precaution, former Marty students are encouraged to contact the tribal council for the Yankton tribe to ask them to preserve this original art work. Their address is as follows:  Yankton Sioux Tribe, P.O. Box 248, Marty, SD 57361. The Chairman is Robert Cornouyer and the Vice Chairperson is Karen Archambeau.

(605) 384-3804 or (605) 384-3641. FAX (605) 384-5687.

Photos Below by Felix Walking (Elk)

Old Gym - Marty

Lewis & Clark wrapping infant Struck by the Ree in a U.S. flag. August 1804.

Benedictine Abbot Martin Marty, answering the Sioux call for help, July 1876.

Chief Struck By the Ree.


Yellow Bird, Thunder Horse and David Zephier (Black Spotted Horse) at St. Meinrad, Indiana, petitioning the Abbot to name Father Sylvester as permanent missionary to the Yanktons at what later became Marty, SD.  1921.


Playing a game on the frozen river.


Venerable old Chief Blue Cloud, Mahpiyato, or Wiliam Bean, who died in 1918, on the night of Father Sylvester's first visit to St. Paul's chapel, later called Marty.


First chapel (1913-1921) at St. Paul's Mission, Marty.

White Swan Chapel. There were no trees at Marty then.

Verdell Ferry crossing Missouri River to Nebraska, used until 1945.

Verdel Ferry landing. (See photo 8th Landing, the Yankton Sioux Meet Lewis & Clark, pp. 330-331.)


Mother Katharine Drexel riding out to the Dakota tribes before founding (1891) her Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament.  She helped many missions and personally kept Marty supplied with teachers and helpers.  She was declared a saint in 2000.


Blackrobe arriving. Jesuit Father Pierre Jean DeSmet, 1839.


Blackrobe Benedictine Abbot Martin Marty, 1876.  Missionaries and their Yankton guides slept under the wagons in buffalo robes during the blizzards.



Coyote from red butte

Buffalo hunt. Outstanding scene.


Yanktons welcome Lewis and Clark Aug. 28, 1804.


Possibly the St. Catherine Chapel at Chalk Rock Colony.

Felix Walking (Elk)

(The Artist)

Marty.—The 2010 summer flood that damaged the gymnasium of old St. Paul’s High School on the Yankton Sioux Reservation, now Marty High School, has spurred both an art preservation effort and the recognition of the Oglala artist responsible for the remarkable murals on the gym upper walls.


Three concerned Marty students of decades past, Carol Davis and Larry Dauphinais, both Turtle Mountain Chippewa; and Cletus Goodteacher, Santee Sioux Tribe of Nebraska, in July, determined to restore and preserve the long-remembered murals in both the gym and dining room of the old school, set about to call attention to the plight of the artwork when buildings at their old campus flooded.  To accomplish their preservation goal, the trio solicited and received support from Lana Gravatt, Yankton Sioux Tribal Historian Preservation Officer, and the Yankton Sioux Tribal Government where another alumna, Karen Archambeau, Tribal Vice President, presented the tribal resolution. Also, the South Dakota Council on the Arts sent a staff member, Jason Biggins, from Pierre to confirm that the murals were worth preserving. The search uncovered an amazing artist whose legacy ranged across South Dakota, especially inspiring the 14 tribes who attended the Marty boarding school, many from grades one through twelve. The alumni research turned up interesting information. The artist, Felix Phillip Walking (Elk), was born June 4, 1906, to Paul Walking (Elk), (for some reason they dropped the name Elk off their name based on the Pine Ridge census of 1913), and Mary Standing Soldier, all members of the Oglala Sioux Tribe of the Pine Ridge Reservation.    
Prior to coming to St. Paul’s Indian Mission, Marty South Dakota, Felix did paintings elsewhere.  Per Jesuit Brother William Siehr, Holy Rosary Mission, Pine Ridge, South Dakota: “Felix worked around various churches and did paintings in various places.  Felix did all the paintings and the decorations of our church there, during the middle 1930’s.” Mary E. Carson, author of 8th Landing: The Yankton Sioux Meet Lewis and Clark, related: “I remember Felix walked in off the road and knocked on Fr. Sylvester’s door.  With a box of paints and brushes, he wanted a job.”  An on-the-job interview with Felix Walking (Elk) in the Sioux City Journal, stated: “he is at work decorating panels in the Marty gymnasium, the views represent Indian landmarks of historical interest, buffalo hunts and woodland scenery.”  (Sioux City, Iowa, Journal, 1938, late October) “Felix also painted panels of Indian lore on the students’ dining room walls.  It was as if ancestral memories poured from his paints onto the walls, to be grasped by future generations, and held equally close.”— (Pg 331, 8th Landing: The Yankton Sioux Meet Lewis and Clark. 
Felix Walking (Elk) passed away on January 21, 1974. He was a well-known South Dakota artist who created memories that will be forever embedded in the minds of those who have had the opportunity to gaze upon his work. He will long be remembered for the beautiful paintings he left for all generations to enjoy.  From a national standpoint, his beautiful mural of the “Lily of the Mohawks,” Kateri Tekakwitha, will be recognized as preserved at Red Cloud Indian School, formerly Holy Rosary Mission, Pine Ridge.  Now, under the banner and likenesses of Blessed Kateri, thousands of Catholic Native Americans meet yearly in the Tekakwitha Conference, which was begun in 1939 by Benedictine Father Sylvester Eisenman, the year after he engaged Felix Walking Elk to paint the landscapes at Marty.  A strong aim of the Conference is to promote the canonization of Blessed Kateri.  Together with the strong response shown by state and tribal historical and preservationist leaders, the three Marty alumni look also to the possibility of saving some of the Marty school's historical buildings. This nostalgic restoration project recalls another, of 1996, when a small band, who as seniors in the shops classes 55 years before, had helped build the massive doors of the Marty Mission Church of St. Paul on campus. That group of loyalists returned from five distant states to restore the eight heavy oak exterior doors to their original luster. 
.                                                                                                                ###


Photos below painted by Felix Walking (Elk)

at Holy Rosary Mission








Early life at Marty


Clara Dean (Chase) Shields

Clara Dean (Chase) Shields passed away June 8, 2012. Clara Dean was married to Mark Shields and they made their home in Chamberlain, SD. They had six children. She was a 1958 Marty Graduate.

Steve Lenoir

Steve Lenoir died Sunday, May 13, 2012 in Arkansas. Steve had undergone surgery and did not recover. Steve attended Marty in both elementary and high school.

Dolly Azure-Plumage

Dolly Azure-Plumage died in Billings, MT on December 30, 2011. Services for Dolly were held at Belcourt, ND on Monday, January 2, 2012. Dolly was a 1955 graduate of Marty and attended many of the reunions in recent years.


Theresa Bercier-Wallette

Theresa Bercier-Wallette died in Spokane, Washington in October 2011. Theresa attended Marty for about 11 years. She attended several Marty Reunions in recent years and enjoyed becoming reqcquainted with her former classmates.


Theodora "Teddy" Hale

Theodora "Teddy" Hale died in Minot, ND in October 2011. Teddy was a 1961 graduate of Marty. She lived at her home in Mandaree, ND all of her life.

Gerald Soukup

Gerald "Gerry" Soukup, Marty graduate from the Class of 1962, passed away in Sioux Falls, SD on September 5, 2011. He was buried in the Catholic Cemetery at Wagner, SD.


Vivian Picotte-Gullikson

Friends and Marty reuinion goers were saddened by the news of the death of Vivian. She died July 19, 2010. She will be remembered as a Marty alumni who loved her friends from her school days. She was proud of her family and had many friends. She will be missed.


Helen Demontigny-Thomas

Helen Marie Demontigny, who attended Marty 1958-59, died October 17, 2010. Helen had suffered from diabetes in recent years. She died at the Belcourt hospital after a short illness. She is survived by her eight children, thirteen grandchildren and one great-grandchild.



David Dauphinais

Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa

David Dauphinais

The following article was published in the Turtle Mountain Star, Monday, November 9, 2009:

His ‘time in hell’
Vietnam veteran shares story after nearly 40 years of silence
By Logan Davis

        The harsh reality of the Vietnam War hit home in a hellish moment to 19-year-old David L. Dauphinais as he flew into his new assigned outpost overlooking the jungles of South Vietnam.   As he peered over the edge of the circling helicopter, Dauphinais noticed scores of what he thought were scarecrows in a field around the remote fire base. As the Chinook helicopter descended further to the ground, the young soldier saw that the dark forms were actually dead bodies of Viet Cong fighters lying or semi-standing in grotesque positions strewn across hundreds of yards of Constantine wire.           

     Dauphinais’ unit had been overrun briefly by the enemy in a night-time attack just hours before. “That was a rude awakening and I asked myself right then, ‘what the heck am I doing here?’ It was my first day in ‘Nam and that scene showed me what the war was all about in only a second. But, I made up my mind I was going to just do what I had to in order to survive. That’s all it was about for me when I was over there—just survive,” recalled Dauphinais.             The Turtle Mountain Chippewa tribal member did a lot more than just survive. He came home a truly decorated hero, but he was also a troubled man who didn’t want to ever speak of his experiences. He said he felt if he didn’t mention his experience, he wouldn’t have to relive the horrific days he wanted to forget.           

     During his year in Vietnam at the height of the war, Dauphinais earned the Silver Star for “gallantry in action,” and three bronze stars for “heroism in ground combat” and “meritorious achievement in ground operations against hostile forces.”  The Silver Star is an honor not many soldiers are given because it takes such bravery to distinguish such a high honor for combat action. The Silver Star was awarded to Sergeant Dauphinais in a ceremony with General William Westmoreland in March of 1969 for undeniable bravery in an assault on his artillery battery at Fire Support Base Diamond. All of his medals, especially the Silver Star are awarded by the authority of the President of the United States.           

     In that assault, Sgt. Dauphinais led his fellow troops in staving off a brutal attack from a very large Viet Cong force bent on destroying the fire base and wiping out all of the American soldiers. The enemy force managed to penetrate the perimeter. The young sergeant led a counter attack against the enemy and under heavy fire, Dauphinais personally attacked and killed a Viet Cong fighter in close quarters combat who was about to blow up the artillery shell storage shed.  After that episode, a propelled rocket blasted near the ammunition bunker in Dauphinais’ section. It set off a fire that would in a minute result in a total catastrophe. Without a thought for his own safety, he raced into the bunker under heavy small arms fire and personally extinguished the fire to ward off what would have been a massive explosion. Along with that incident, Sgt. Dauphinais was awarded the Bronze Star three times for valor where he single-handedly attacked enemy forces and defended his Howitzer cannons. Those bronze stars were awarded for Dauphinais’ heroics in other enemy ground assaults. The enemy desperately wanted the Americans’ heavy guns but Dauphinais was just as determined to keep the US weapons out of the hands of the enemy.           

     These are things that just happened. I wasn’t thinking about medals. I was just trying to do what I had to do to protect our gun crew and survive,” Dauphinais stated last week as he painfully recalled his year in the Southeast Asian jungles and rice paddies.   Seeing the reality of the horrific war taking place that first day in Vietnam wasn’t the only shock Dauphinais had experienced around that time period.  Only nine months earlier, Dauphinais was working for Boeing Aircraft Inc. in Seattle, Washington when the Belcourt man’s quiet evening was interrupted by a knock on the door.  I opened the door and there were two federal marshals standing there. I asked them what this was all about and they told me that the US Army was looking for me. I asked them why that was and they told me I had been drafted and had to report right away. But they gave me four months to come back to the reservation to get my stuff together and that’s what I did. I had no idea I had been drafted, but it was my mom who had been tearing up my letters telling me I had been drafted. “She didn’t want her son to go to war,” Dauphinais said with a grin. “My mom thought that if she ignored the letters, that she could keep me out of the war. She lost a nephew, Alois DeCoteau, back in World War II. He got killed at the Normandy invasion. My two uncles, Fred Dauphinais and Bob DeCoteau were also in World War II, so mom had a good idea of what war was about and she didn’t want her son to go. But, it was either that or Canada and I didn’t want to be a draft dodger, of course. So, I went to get ready for whatever came my way.”           

     Dauphinais took his basic training at Fort Lewis, Washington, and his advanced military training in artillery took place in Fort Sill, Oklahoma. Dauphinais arrived in Vietnam at the tail end of the Tet Offensive which saw many American casualties and fierce combat in South Vietnam. “I made sergeant two months after I got to Vietnam and they made me section chief right away,” Dauphinais revealed. “Our job was to always be on the move with our Howitzers and get to all these hot spots with heavy enemy movements. We were constantly on the move and there never was a place we could call the ‘front lines’ back in ‘Nam. The time of the Tet Offensive, it was pretty bad. We were always near the Cambodian border and even though no one said anything, I knew for a fact we had crossed the border into Cambodia. There were no ‘Welcome to Cambodia’ signs, but I had knowledge of coordinates and that was enough to tell me we were across the border. In the time I was there, I managed to survive eleven different ground attacks on my unit and in three of those attacks, we were overrun three times. We were hit hard wherever we went. When we set up, we knew the NVA (North Vietnamese Army) and the Viet Cong were going to come after us. It was just a matter of time.”           

     Dauphinais had promised himself that he would never speak about his experiences in Vietnam, but since a fellow Vietnam veteran, Andrew LaVallie, passed away recently, he knew it was time to share the story of his Vietnam experiences after almost 40 years of near silence. The only men he would talk to about what he considered a taboo subject were a few local veterans who truly understood the trauma of combat and the post-traumatic effects on the human psyche.  “My commander seemed to always pick on me when we had to lay out our coordinates and scout out our position. I guess they had an idea that I could see in the dark or something. I would go out and do an assessment of any enemy positions and monitor the NVA and Viet Cong troop movements. I used to sit in the jungle watching them with my spy glasses as they resupplied and set up their camps. But there were so many tunnels, I could never be sure how many of the enemy there were. I just had to watch them and use my best judgment. I remember thinking that it was kind of unfair that I had to always be the one to go out and do the re-con, but I had no choice and had to follow orders and someone had to do it,” stated Dauphinais.           

     In the Silver Star Citation award, Colonel Robert Fair wrote of Dauphinais heroic deeds, “Sergeant Dauphinais distinguished himself by heroic actions on 23 February 1969, while serving as section chief with A Battery, 1st Battalion, 8th Field artillery in the Republic of Vietnam…elements of a Battery came under an intense attack from a large Communist force. At the initial instant of hostile activity, Sergeant Dauphinais immediately raced to his Howitzer to organize his gun crew for retaliatory fire. When the enemy penetrated the perimeter, Sergeant Dauphinais directed his personnel to fire point blank on the insurgents. Spotting an enemy soldier about to toss a grenade into the artillery parapet, Sergeant Dauphinais killed the hostile foe. An enemy rocket-propelled grenade exploded near the ammunition bunker of (his) section and set it afire. Sergeant Dauphinais, completely disregarding his own safety, raced through the holocaust of projectiles and extinguished the blaze before it caused any damage. His valorous actions contributed immeasurably to the repulsion of the insurgents…” In the citations for his three Bronze Stars, similar detailed explanations of Dauphinais’ bravery are also provided in those military documents.            

     Dauphinais lives a quiet life now on the foothills of the Turtle Mountains near Belcourt with his wife and companion of 32 years, the former Marlene Amyotte of Dunseith. Over the many years since his time in “hell”, Dauphinais said he spent many sleepless nights when the memories of war haunted him in his mind. He was reflected endlessly of how the war affected parts of his life and that is why he chose to try to put it out of his mind completely by not talking about it. Now he realizes that many war veterans have battled with many “demons” after their military service due to the violence and human suffering they witnessed and were a part of. Dauphinais’ journey to a semblance of inner peace has been a long arduous one that has seen a great measure of healing thanks to friends, family members and the fellow veterans who could relate to the same experiences.           

     “A lot of guys came back with post-traumatic syndrome that led them to drinking and other stuff to try to deal with it. It takes a lot of time for some to get over it and for a lot of us, we never will. I see my medals and I just think that I was in the wrong place at the right time. But, I know now that they’re some symbols of my character as a man and as a veteran,” said Dauphinais.  Dave is finally realizing that his actions in Vietnam were of the kind any person can be very proud. It took a very long time to come to that realization, he said. Dauphinais’ love and respect for his fellow veterans is part of the strength he has attained over the last forty years since his ordeal fighting in a foreign land in the name of freedom and in defense of his country. 


Please enjoy this youtube video that reveals nuns can have a sense of humor!

A really neat puzzle
http://www.brl.ntt.co.jp/people/hara/fly.swf <http://www.brl.ntt.co.jp/people/hara/fly.swf>
If you can put this puzzle together. Say goodbye to Alzheimer’s!

Montana Indian woman introduces the President as the Indian Law and Order Bill is signed into law.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * 

Congratulations Karen Archambeau

Congratulations to Karen Archambeau who was recently elected Vice Chairperson of the Yankton Sioux Tribe! We wish her the very best as she undertakes this challenge. Karen has served in leadership roles over the years for her tribe and comes to the position with experience and a determination to serve her fellow tribal members.

Please Enjoy the State Flower

Turn up your volume and click on the "State Flower"



The next generation of Native American health education


This site has lots of information that is pertinent to Native American health. You may see familiar faces among the people featured on this web site.



News from Bud and Frances Jetty

Time flies by when one is having fun, and our summer is going fast.  This past June found us away from home a great deal of time. Early in June we took part in the Catholic Indian Congress at Ft. Thompson. On the 8th of the month along with other from the Diocese of Sioux Falls we traveled to St. Louis for the Installation of our former Bishop, Robert J. Carlson, as he assumed his new assignment as the Archbishop of St. Louis. On the 20th of June we were in Highmore with our son, Ron Jetty, PhD who had come home for his 25th class reunion. And June 26-28 we took part in the reunion of former students of St Paul's Indian Mission at Marty, SD.  Needless to say, we met and had the pleasure of visiting many people.  In Highmore we took part in a dinner in honor of our cowboy friend, Mick Smith who was celebrating his 0th birthday and I heard a young cowboy mention that "PhD means post hole digger."  A young lady, the cowboy's cousin, who also has a Ph.D was sitting nearby.  Peace and best wishes.

St. Paul's Indian Mission Pottery

3 1/2" X 3 1/2 "

This vase was sent to Loretta Bad Heart Bull with instructions to return it to the rightful owners. The Reunion Committee agreed that we will donate it to Blue Cloud Abbey where other Marty Mission holdings are being preserved. If anyone knows anything about this pottery, please share your information with us.  The following is on the bottom of the vase:  St. Paul's Indian Mission, Marty, SD.


Photos from Space

The space telescope, Hubble, has been sending phenomenal photos from outer space. Click on the site below and then click on thumbnail photo 2003-28 to start the slide show.  Enjoy!



Mae Lenoir

Word arrived today that Mae Lenoir died Monday, December 14,2009. She was 98 years old. Barney and Mae Lenoir worked at Marty and lived on one of the farms for many years. Mae worked as a seamstress and helped where she was needed at the mission for more than 25 years. They moved to Marty from the Turtle Mountain Reservation in North Dakota in the 1950's. Barney preceded her in death as well as her son Dicky and daughters Bernice and Patty. She is survived by her children Dorie, Wally, Helen, Eileen, Donna, Steve, Jimmy, Tessie and their families. Our condolences go out to the family.

Bill and Charlotte Monette's son, Bill Blake, loses life

On Friday, July 31, 2009, Bill Blake, 45-year old son of Bill and Charlotte Monette died in a Minneapolis hospital.  Bill had been waiting for a heart transplant after suffering a heart attack.  Bill Blake was a sergeant on the Minneapolis Police Force and brought an awareness of American Indian issues to that department. He sponsored professional development for his fellow law enforcement officers designed to sensitize the department to the American Indian community. A special service for Law Enforcement will take place in Minneapolis followed by an all-night vigil Wednesday, August 5 and the funeral on Thursday, August 6, 2009 at Red Lake.


Lindsey Gourneau

Lindsey Gourneau, 65, died at the Belcourt Hospital on Saturday, February 27, 2010. His wake service will be held at St. Ann's Catholic Church on Thursday, March 4 and his funeral will be held on Friday, March 5, 2010.

Ambrose Little Ghost

Ambrose Little Ghost died in a Devils Lake, ND hospital on Friday, July 31, 2009.  A four-day wake was held at his home on the Spirit Lake Reservation. His funeral took place on Thursday, August 6, 2009.  Ambrose and his wife, Anna, celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary earlier this year. He was a respected spiritual leader who was generous with his time. Ambrose was often asked to pray with American Indian people from Spirit Lake and many other tribes. Those who shared his life will miss his leadership and kindness.

Sister Anthony Celebrates 70 years as Oblate
Seated: Sr. Anthonly Marie; Standing: Karen Archambeau, Carol and Lynn Davis, and Larry Dauphinais


Sr. Anthony Marie Davis
A special celebration to honor Sr. Anthony Marie Davis on her 70th jubilee was held at St. Paul's Indian Mission, Marty, SD on Sunday, October 5, 2008.  Sr. Anthony Marie is a member of the Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa. She joined the convent in 1938 and dedicated her life to serving the Lord as an Oblate Sister of the Blessed Sacrament spending most of those 70 years at Marty, SD.  Several members of the 2009 Reunion Planning Committee held a meeting at Marty on October 4 and attended the celebration. We congratulate sister Anthony Marie and wish her good health and all the best.

Congratulations Darlene and Eugene Konor

Congratulations to Darlene and Eugene Konor who will celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary on November 19, 2009.  If you would like to send them your congratulations, Darlene’s e-mail address is dkonor06@sbcglobal.net.

Congratulations Dolly and Chick Plumage
Dolly and Chick Plumage recently celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary.  We want to congratulate them and wish them at least 50 more years filled with marital bliss.

Exotic Bird For Dinner


Congratulations Joan and Dennis Moore

Congratulations to Joan and Dennis Moore who celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary on August 8.  Joan and Dennis were married at Fort Yates in 1959. Your Marty friends and family wish you many many more years together.


 Sisters of the Blesses Sacrament Web Site:

If you wish to access St. Paul's Mission, Marty, online, go to the following web site: www.parishesonline.com.  When you get to the parish home page, enter the following zip code: 57361.A link is on the first page of this Wesite (Marty Mission Church Link) make sure and put the Zip Code in when you get to the site.

Pray for those who are ill: 

Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name, Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven, give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil..
For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory now and forever. Amen..

Prayer Request for Mary Shevlin

Please remember Pat Shevlin's wife, Mary, in your prayers. She is recovering from cancer surgery. We were happy to learn her surgery went very well and she will now undergo treatments. "God is good!" was Pat's response when he heard the results. As many of us know, illness is hard on a family. Let's remember Mary, Pat and their family in our prayers.

Prayer Request for Rita Brien

Please remember Rita Brien in your prayers. She underwent open heart surgery in September 2011 and is recuperating at home. The surgery went well, but it will take time and prayers to get her back good as new.

Prayer request for Bill "Mush" Monette

Please remember Bill in your prayers. He underwent surgery in Grand Forks, ND on January 10, 2011 and has had several set-backs. His condition is slowly improving, however he needs your prayers.

Prayer request for James Fitzgerald

Please remember James Fitzgerald in your prayers. He is currently experiencing some health problems. We wish him a very speedy recovery.

Prayer Request for Frances Jetty

Please remember Frances in your prayers. She recently went through an angioplasty after experiencing heart problems. She is recovering at home.  We wish her a speedy recovery.

Medical Update from Alfred Jetty



Prayer Request for Ed Croteau

Please remember Ed Croteau, Marty Class of 57', in your prayers. He underwent open heart surgery on May 12.


Enter supporting content here